California Interior Design Continuing Education Requirements
Cindy Grant, Feb 9, 2022 11:28:28 AM
California Interior Designers are required to complete 10 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) every 2 years. 5 CEUs must qualify as CA Building Code related.
- CE Requirement: 10 Continuing Education Units (CEUs), in order to maintain the Commercial Designation, 5 of those must be CA Building Code related.
- Renewal Date: Based on date-of-licensure, every 2 years.
- CE Cycle: Biennial - Credits must be earned within the 2-year period prior to the renewal date. For example, if you received your license on September 1st, 2020, your renewal date is September 1st, 2022. All accreditation must be completed within this timeframe.
- Acceptable Coursework: The California Council for Interior Design Certification does not pre-approve courses. It is the registrant's responsibility to use their professional judgment to determine if an activity meets the Council's criteria as summarized in this post and - most importantly - as detailed on Council's website. Acceptable coursework must qualify from provides approved by:
- Interior Design Continuing Education Council (IDCEC).
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) .
- All CIDs who attend a CCIDC Board meeting (of which there are 3 per year) will receive .2 CEU (2 hours) for free.
- Reporting of Credits: Certified interior designers are required to report continuing education credits earned to the CCIDC online with your CID account. Do not mail them directly. Design Arts Seminars reports credits electronically whenever possible.
- Tracking of Credits: Members are responsible for maintaining proof of successful completion of continuing education activities via CCIDC online with your CID account.
- Audit: All interior designers certified in California are subject to audit by the Council and upon request will need to provide documentation to support the CEUs claimed at renewal.
- Carry-over Credits: Not permitted.
- Are you registered in another state? If so, check out the Interior Design Continuing Education Requirements.
- Also maintaining a professional membership? Check out the continuing education requirements for ASID and IIDA.
- Have any questions? Post comments or questions on this blog or contact Design Arts Seminars, Inc.